Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Procrastination: A self study (2/9/10)

Two weeks ago, I launched my ATC campaign and blog with great hopes of changing my daily habits to be more green. Despite the afterglow of step 1 completion, it has been nothing but procrastination since. This can only mean one thing: I'm not sure what to do next. As someone who benefits from lots of reflection, I figured I would take a look at what I already do in my life that counts as green. I also thought it might help if I detail the things I know I should be doing but am not. And I listed the things I am not willing to do for the environment, no matter how green those things are. Hence, I give you: A self study...

Top 5 things I'm already doing to be a better, greener person:

1. Recycling
2. Taking public transit to/from work everyday
3. Shopping at Whole Foods/sometimes farmer's markets/Buying local/organic/sustainably raised food most often
4. Reduction of packaging and superfluous packaging
5. Thinking happy thoughts about a greener earth...and also reading a lot on the subject.

Top 5 things I know I should be doing to be a better, greener person, but am currently not:

1. Home energy reduction and use of alternatives
2. Reduction of waste (like, bringing my own water bottle/coffee mug when possible)
3. Reduction of water use
4. Practice greater "Flexatarianism" by eating vegetarian and vegan more often
5. Finally, finally, committing to a community action group on the subject...

Top 5 things I will never do for the sake of the environment:

1. Use moon pads. Nope.
2. Take a dust bath. That's for elephants.
3. Slaughter my own pig. Let me be clear that I will continue to be friends with those of you on this list that have slaughtered your own pigs.
4. Bike at night.
5. Eat a lot of green jello and blog about it (sorry A. Conover, that doesn't count)


Now that I know where I could use some green improvement, I'm going to focus this next week on the first point on my list of 'stuff I know I should be doing but am not.' Conveniently enough, my friend Mary Gregory already gave me the first "green challenge" of my campaign--to install CFLs wherever possible. Alright Mary Gregory, I'm up to the challenge! Next week, I will write to you about the magic and mystery of installing CFLs...

2 comments: