Sunday, January 24, 2010

ATC Launch of my campaign!

My goal is to change my daily habits in order to live a greener lifestyle, and capture the experiences in my blog, "It's Not Easy Being Green" from January through April 2010.

For those of you that donate $25 or more to my campaign, I invite you to propose a "green challege" for me! It can be anything from daring me to eat only from a farmers market one week to riding my bike more. I will reflect on the experience you request in my blog the week that you donate (or, if many of you are interested in challenging me, the following weeks).

This all started the day I turned in my little grey security blanket, aka the Ford I've been driving the past 3 years. I handed over my keys to a tired looking man, signed the final lease payments, and hauled myself up a large hill to take a bus to Bart back across the Bay. After the hour and a half commute to the East Bay I couldn't help but wonder if I had made the right choice. This same trip would have taken half the time in my car! Well, that's the point: It's not easy being green. Changing the environment means changing myself and my daily habits. Ouch.

Until now, I have reached for the low hanging fruit of environmentalism. I recycle, I shop at Whole Foods, I take public transit to work...but, it's time to climb the proverbial tree. I want to stretch my comfort zone more in the way I did giving back my car. Most importantly, I want to think about the environment first with each decision I make.

My vision is strong, my plans are vague, and I see this as an ongoing process with input from you, my support group. So I'm looking forward to hearing your feedback and hopefully getting a few "green challenge" ideas from you! I welcome anyone who would like to join me in this little adventure.

I'm struck by the disproportionate ways in which impoverished people are subjected to the worst of our environmental crisis. From food to pollution to health, people with the least have to deal with the most. The homeless youth and young adults with whom ATC works are among the folks most impacted by a society that aims for power and pleasure now, and the cost of those things later. As a product of that society, I want to work harder to change my ways.

I believe ATC fills a necessary gap in the social service system by meeting the immediate needs of homeless young people without judging them. ATC is the definition of a successful local, grassroots program and I really admire their integrity and persistence in working with their clients. They are truly among the best in the field.

No comments:

Post a Comment