Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hitting RESET!


Hi everyone,

Yes, it's been a very long time since I've written anything about my green efforts for the ATC campaign. February and March were incredibly busy at work (and personally) and as a result I hit pause on my campaign the last couple of months. I'm hoping to hit restart with this quick entry and get back up to speed before the end of the campaign.

Let me just admit it here: I got stuck on the CFL green challenge. Todd doesn't like the light from CFLs (he is by default doing this challenge with me) and I didn't know what the alternatives were. I asked around and learned that there are some ways to get around the ugly light (like hiding it with a giant lamp shade) and it's also possible to get the new and improved CFLs which have an opaque covering on them so the light is dimmer. We are going to try these new CFLs...just as soon as I get to the store. Clearly there is a block with this particular challenge, so I've decided to move on to a different green challenge for now and come back to this one in the next week or so.

Onto challenge 2: Todd challenged me to create an eco-friendly art project that promotes going green. Admittedly I thought this was kinda out there for me to 1.) Draw something and 2.) Make it have any meaning. Also, compared to the CFL challenge it didn't seem like a major shift in greening my life. But actually it was a great reminder that greening one's life can be as simple as chosing one product over another. For instance, Todd bought me some soy crayons for this project and they were literally right next to non-soy crayons on the shelf. I grabbed a piece of used paper from the recycling bin instead of new paper. These were not big steps. Being greener, especially in the Bay Area, is most often a series of not so big steps that add up to making a difference.

Another lesson learned from this simple act of drawing a picture is that greening one's life can be kind of a childlike thing. I remember drawing pictures of the earth and learning about "reduce, reuse, recylce" when I was a kid and it was tied into many of our basic lessons in school. It's kind of the same way we learned fire drills or saying please and thank you; these things were fundamental in learning how to be human. From this early training, I think I have the instincts to make greener choices, I just need to put some more time into researching products and practices that make for a better earth.

My drawing says "One More Person for Peace, Justice, and Greener Living!" And of course, that's me high fiving the earth. Hopefully you like it and maybe find some time to make an earth picture of your own. If you want to borrow some soy crayons, you know where to find me.

2 comments:

  1. it's awesome you're doing this, if only government and corporations cared as much a you do and made even the slightest effort you are. Keep up the good work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! I love the drawing! And I love the blog! :) :) :) And sorry about the CFLs. Most of them make me feel uneasy, however, I'm open to looking into the top of the line ones to see how the light is :) Love, Todd

    ReplyDelete